Anniversary project with 100 Bulgarians – In 2005, the Engadinerhof celebrated its 100th anniversary. We marked this occasion in our own special way. We decided not to organise the usual party for locals and guests, since after all, we are all pretty fortunate. Instead we wanted to do something positive for people whose lives are tougher than our own. We offered 100 Bulgarians a week’s stay in our hotel with full board and beverages. The local Bulgarian aid group organised the programme of events and transport to the hotel. For this rather substantial undertaking, we were also able to count on the support of our employees (who went without 25% of their pay for this particular week!) and many of our suppliers. This was very much appreciated. After much consideration, we joined forces with the local Bulgarian Aid Organisation which is organised by the Südbünden branch of the International Union of Christian Businessmen (IVCG). (This is where we had sent furniture and other material as well as donations right at the start of our time at the Engadinerhof). From 3 to 10 June 2005, 100 Bulgarians had the chance to spend a week’s holiday in the Engadinerhof hotel. Those invited were people from retirement homes and orphanages along with their carers, and Bulgarian volunteers who are establishing local relief organisations.
1856:Johann Peter Fopp was born in Davos.
1887:he bought the farmhouse - built in 1712 - which now houses the pizzeria. He lived here and also ran it as a small guest house. What is now the restaurant was at that time a joinery.
1905:the Engadinerhof hotel was built. The old farmhouse and the joinery were combined, 2 storeys were added, and the front part (now the hall) was built in front of the present-day entrance to the restaurant. Interestingly, the joinery was still in operation.
1926:the joinery was separated and moved to the Diavolezza house, where it is now the Schwab joinery.
1928:Christian Heinrich, Peter Fopp’s eldest grandson, joined the firm at the age of 18.
1937/38:garages were built on the land opposite which had long since been owned by the Engadinerhof. This was because cars had been allowed in the Graubünden Canton since 1925, and more and more guests were arriving by car.
1958-60:the last significant additions to the hotel were built: - Kitchen annex adjoining the restaurant - Rotunda annex in the hall for dances - New entrance
1970:Jürg Heinrich, Christian Heinrich’s eldest son, takes over the firm.
1980:Jürg Heinrich dies at the age of 40, and his widow Elisabeth Heinrich takes over the business.
1990:15 rooms are renovated in the North Wing, including the bathrooms, and part of the façade is replastered.
1994:The staff house (Chesa Sulai) is sold.
1998:The garages and building land opposite are sold.
1998:Bertram and Corina Hissung buy the Engadinerhof.